1 Timothy 6:17-21
Talks for Growing Christians
An Exhortation to Christians Who Are Rich
1 Timothy 6:17-21
Lesson Number 15
- Riches are uncertain as to their future existence.
- Riches are unnecessary for present enjoyment.
- Riches are unlimited in their potential use.
- Are you guarding the gospel?
- What is the difference between the people mentioned in verse 9 and verse 17?
- Is it wrong to be rich?
- What are the consequences of verse 9?
- What does God’s word say to those who are rich?
- What is the believer to trust in?
- Are riches necessary for present enjoyment?
- Refer to 1 Timothy 6:18. What does the word “snare” mean?
- Verse 9 speaks of those who desire to be rich; verse 17 speaks of those who are rich. The difference is in wanting to be rich and being rich.
- No. But it is wrong for the Christian to desire to become rich.
- Those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
- That they might be tested in this area. See 1 Timothy 6:17-19.
- In the living God, not in uncertain riches.
- Absolutely not! God gives us richly all things from His storehouse to enjoy. As Christians, our inheritance is in Christ.
- It means more than sharing your money; it means getting involved.
- Discuss the uncertainty of riches in today’s world. Consider the pitfalls of trusting treasure of this world and of becoming proud. See 1 Corinthians 4:7
- Consider the statement, “Riches are unnecessary for present enjoyment.” What really gives you pleasure?
- Whatever God has given you, are you using it to His glory? This would include not only riches, but spiritual gifts, abilities, and time. Do not just give token contributions in any of these areas. See Matthew 6:19-20
- Timothy was to guard the content of the faith that had been entrusted to him. The gospel was being attacked in the first century in the areas of the Person and Work of Christ. Some were being taken in by false teachings, and they were straying from the faith. The same is true today. The gospel is under attack. Are you alert to false teaching? Guard the faith!
- “Trust in the living God who gives us richly all things to enjoy.” - 1 Timothy 6:17
“Do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share. ” -1 Timothy 6:18
“Store up a good foundation for the time to come…lay hold on eternal life. ” -1 Timothy 6:19
“Guard the gospel … Grace be with you.” -1 Timothy 6:20-21