1 Timothy 4:10-16
Talks for Growing Christians
Christian Leadership in View of the Dangers of False Teaching
1 Timothy 4:10-16
Lesson Number 10
- Church leaders must labor for godliness.
- Church leaders must be a good example.
- Church leaders must set the right agenda.
- Church leaders must exercise their spiritual gifts.
- Church leaders must be fully committed.
- The apostle Paul wrote to Timothy to refute the false teaching in Ephesus. Was Timothy succussful in carrying out Paul’s instructions? Show this from Scripture.
- How old was Timothy when this letter was written?
- List the five instructions for all church leaders given in this portion of Scripture. Are these instructions applicable to more than the church leaders?
- What is the root of the word “strive”?
- Yes, he and other leaders did a good job because about thirty five years later the apostle John wrote the book of Revelation and referred to the church at Ephesus. See Revelation 2:2-3.
- Probably between 30-35 years old.
- Church leaders must
a. labor for godliness
b. be a good example
c. set the right agenda
d. exercise their spiritual gifts
e. be fully committed.
Yes these standards are applicable for all Christians.
- It comes from the Greek word from which we get “agonize”, like a runner nearing the goal.
- We are to labor and strive for godliness in our lives. We are to bring people to the living God and see them live godly lives. Is this being accomplished in your life?
- Don’t give anyone opportunity to criticize you because of your age. Are you setting a good example, regardless of your age?
- “Give attention to reading, exhortation and doctrine.” This is the agenda for the church. Is this being done in your church?
- “Do not neglect your gift.” Timothy, like all Christians, had a spiritual gift, and was told not to neglect this gift. (1 Timothy 4:14; 2 Timothy 1:6) Are you exercising your spiritual gift by being involved in serving the Lord?
- Church leaders must be fully committed. When you give yourself entirely to the things of the Lord, even your recreation and secular jobs can be a way to serving the Lord.
- If your conduct does not match your doctrine, you can do great damage to yourself and to fellow believers. On the other hand, when you watch yourself, you and others will be preserved from false teaching. Watch how you live out your faith.
- “ We labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, our Savior. ” - 1 Timothy 4:10
“ Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. ” - 1 Timothy 4:12
“ Give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Meditate on these things, give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. ” - 1 Timothy 4:13,15
“ Do not neglect the gift that is in you... ” - 1 Timothy 4:14