1 Timothy 3:8-16
Talks for Growing Christians
Qualifications for Deacons of the Local Church
1 Timothy 3:8-16
Lesson Number 8
- Deacons are responsible for spiritual services.
- Deacons are characterized by moral integrity and ability to manage.
- Do you know the secret of godliness?
- The theme verse of this book is 1 Timothy 3:15. What is the theme?
- Is the church the source of truth?
- The church is the house of God. What else is it know as?
- How are believers to conduct themselves in the house of God?
- What is the responsibility of deacons?
- What is the difference between the office of an elder and a deacon?
- What is the meaning of the word “deacon”?
- How are deacons selected?
- How to conduct yourself in the house of God.
- No. It is the pillar and ground of truth; it supports the truth.
- The body of Christ, the bride of Christ, and the temple of the Holy Spirit.
- Believers are to follow the order of that house as laid out by God in the Bible.
- They are responsible for spiritual services.
- The difference has to do with their function. Elders are responsible for spiritual leadership of the church. Deacons under the elders in various areas of service.
- “Deacon” means “servant”.
- Because they function under the elders, they are generally asked and appointed by the elders.
- The Hellenists in the early church complained because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution . The first deacons were appointed by the apostles to serve in the Jerusalem church. See Acts 6:1-5. Are there areas of neglect in your church today?
- Re-read 1 Timothy 3:8-13. what does it mean to be double-tonged? Why must deacons not be greedy for money? It is a wise idea to observe men in church service before they are appointed as deacons. Several questions should be asked. Can they do the job? Do they quit when the going gets tough? Do they have what it takes to carry through? Can they manage when they are put in charge? If the answers are affirmative, they might make good deacons.
- Read 1 Timothy 3:16. The secret of godliness is Christ. List and meditate on the doctrines here. Do you want to be more godly in your life? Keep these truths before you at all times.
- “ Deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience...faithful in all things. ” - 1 Timothy 3:8-9,11
“ Let them first be tested, then let them serve as deacons. Those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus. ” - 1 Timothy 3:10,13
“ You know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God. ” - 1 Timothy 3:15
“ Great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up to glory. ” - 1 Timothy 3:16