1 Timothy 2:9-15
Talks for Growing Christians
The Role of Christian Women in the Church
1 Timothy 2:9-15
Lesson Number 6
- The role of women in the church is supportive and important.
- Are you content to be a woman (in view of this supportive role)?
- What is the distinctive role of men in the church, as discussed in 1 Timothy 2?
- 1 Timothy 2:9-10 gives the dress code for women in the church. What is the idea here?
- Does silence mean no talking?
- What is the meaning of 1 Timothy 2:12?
- When may women teach? Give examples from Scripture.
- How do the teachings of questions 4 and 5 differ?
- A woman is not to have an upfront teaching position or authoritative leadership in the church. What is the basis for this?
- Does subordination mean inferiority?
- It demands public praying.
- Christian women are not to draw attention to themselves by their looks, bur rather by their godliness and good works. Scripture teaches a modest, not ostentatious policy for women’s dress.
- Not necessarily. It means not being disruptive, but rather having a gentle, quiet and teachable spirit.
- Women are not to teach from the pulpit or have authority over men.
- Priscilla and Aquila taught Apollos (Acts 18:24-26). The older Christian women are to teach the younger women (Titus 2:3-5).
- In the church, the women are not to have an upfront teaching position or one of authority, whereas in the home, husband and wife may have a combined ministry, and women are encouraged to teach women in godliness.
- Adam was formed first, then Even, and Eve was deceived. This argument is more than an illustration; it is based on creation, which is before culture.
- No. Even Jesus was subject to God the Father while on earth.
- The role of women in the church is supportive and important. Read then discuss 1 Timothy 2:10, concerning the good works of Christian women. Consider some examples from Scripture: Dorcas (Acts 9:36-42), Lydia (Acts 16:9-15), and Phoebe (Romans 16:1-2). Can you think of other examples from Scripture or life?
- Discuss the two-fold creation argument concerning the silence of Christian women:
a. The Order of Creation
b. The matter of the Fall
What happened when Eve stepped out of her God-given role of subordination?
- Review the section from the tape on the promise to Christian women, 1 Timothy 2:15. Remember that godly women who raise their children for the Lord have a tremendous effect on the world.
- Are you content to be a women (in view of this supportive role)?
- “ Women are to adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, which is proper for women professing godliness. ” - 1 Timothy 2:9-10
“ Women should adorn themselves with good works. ” - 1 Timothy 2:10
“ Let a women learn in silence with all submission. ” - 1 Timothy 2:11
“ A women is to continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control. ” - 2 Timothy 2:15