1 Timothy 1:5-11
Talks for Growing Christians
The Goal of Biblical Teaching and the Correct Use of the Law
1 Timothy 1:5-11
Lesson Number 2
- The goal of sound biblical teaching should be love.
- The purpose of the law is to set forth God’s moral standards.
- Does your philosophy of ministry have a biblical goal?
- When did the apostle Paul write this epistle? Who did he write to, and where was the letter sent?
- False teachers who were becoming a problem in the church. Who were these false teachers?
- Was Timothy told to excommunicate these false teachers?
- What were some of the false teachings in the church?
- The Judaizers brought Jewish beliefs and practices into their new Christianity. Not all Judaizers were as extreme as others. List the range of Judaizers.
- About 63 A.D., to Timothy who was in Ephesus.
- Most likely believers who had strayed from the truth.
- No, but he was told to confront them and to silence their false teaching.
- Judaizers were putting a great emphasis on the Mosaic law and thus mixing up grace with law.
- On one extreme was the Non-Christian Judaizers, who had no time or place for the gospel in their teaching.
The other side was Christian Judaizers. These were true believers in Christ, but were putting the wrong emphasis on keeping the law. They were also emphasizing the legends and the endless genealogies of extra-biblical literature, thus straying from the faith.
- Read 1 Timothy 1:4-5. Thus purpose and goal of sound biblical teaching is live, and agape love of the will, characterized by self-denial for the interest of others. Are you reaching out to others in love from a pure heart (no hidden motives), from a good conscience (righteous living), and from a sincere faith (no masks)?
- The purpose of the law was given to set forth God’s moral standards. The law convicts us of sin. The right view of the law in no way takes away from the gospel, which manifests the glory of God. Are some sins that are condemned in the Bible condoned in your church, such as homosexuality? See Romans 1:26, 27, 32 and Leviticus 18:22,30. What should be done about such sins?
- See 1 Timothy 1:5. Is this your philosophy of ministry? Does your church have a mission statement?
- “ The purpose of the law is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from a pure faith. ” - 1 Timothy 1:5
“ The law is good if one uses it lawfully. ” - 1 Timothy 1:8