1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
Talks for Growing Christians
A Description and Some Details of the Day of the Lord
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
Lesson Number 8
- The day of the Lord will not come like a thief in the night for Christians.
- The day of the Lord will not be a day of wrath for Christians.
- Let's stay awake and be watching.
- Is the day of the Lord the same as the rapture?
- Why is the rapture called a mystery (1 Corinthians 15:51)?
- Is the day of the Lord referred to as a mystery?
- Did the prophets of the Old Testament look forward to the day of the Lord in end times?
- Has the day of the Lord already taken place, is it taking place now, or is it yet in the future?
- What is the name for the part of the day of the Lord that occurs before the Lord's return in glory to this earth?
- What is the name for the part of the day of the Lord that happens after the Lord's return to this earth in glory?
- No, although they are related, the Rapture is distinct and precedes the day of the Lord.
- A mystery in the New Testament is not something mysterious. It is a doctrine that was concealed in the Old Testament and revealed in the New Testament.
- No. Is was well known from the pages of the Old Testament.
- Yes, there are many prophetic texts dealing with the day of the Lord.
- Although there have been precursors of this day in history, and although tribulations are in the world now, the ultimate day of the Lord is still future.
- The Tribulation. The Tribulation occurs after the rapture.
- The Millennium. See Revelation 20.
- Believers are sons of light and of the day. We will not be overtaken by the judgment as a theif in the night, because we won't be here. We will be here however, for the kingdom of the Lord and His blessings, because we will return with Him when He comes back to this earth. Is this your hope?
- We, as believers, are not appointed unto wrath. The package of salvation for belivers not only includes salvation from the wrath of God in hell, but all the wrath of God, including the tribulation period of the future. Does this comfort you? Does it prod you into evangelizing the unsaved now?
- We are admonished to stay awake and be watching. The rapture could come at any time. Are you watching? Read 1 Peter 5:8 and Ephesians 6:10-18. Are you watching?
- “ You, brethren, are not in darkness…but you are sons of light and sons of the day. ” - 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5
- “ Let us not sleep, but let us watch and be sober. Put on the breastplate of faith and love, and a helmet the hope of salvation. ” - 1 Thessalonians 5:6,8
- “ God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. ” - 1 Thessalonians 5:9