1 Thessalonians 2:13-20
Talks for Growing Christians
Paul Describes How the Thessalonians Received the Gospel
1 Thessalonians 2:13-20
Lesson Number 4
- The word of God is effective in the lives of believers.
- The work of God is hindered by the world, the flesh, and the Devil.
- The reward of God is determined by our service to people.
- You can take it with you.
- When did the Apostle Paul write this letter?
- Why did Paul leave Thessalonica so suddenly?
- What kind of a report did Timothy bring to Paul when he returned from Thessalonica?
- Why did Paul write this letter?
- What could be considered the theme of 1 Thessalonians?
- How often is the Lord’s return mentioned in 1 Thessalonians?
- What is the three-fold enemy of the Christian?
- About 50-51 A.D., soon after he had visited Thessalonica and the church was founded.
- Because of persecution. See Acts 17.
- A good report, that encouraged Paul
- To commend the Thessalonian believers on their steadfast faith in spite of persecution, to give them further instructions about godly living, and to answer some questions they had regarding the return of the Lord.
- The return of the Lord for His church.
- In every chapter of 1 Thessalonians.
- The world, the flesh, and the Devil
- The Thessalonian believers received the word of God as the word of God, which effectively works in the lives of believers. See Matthew 4:4, 1 Peter 1:23, and Hebrews 4:12. What is your definition of the Bible? Is it the word of man about God, or is it the word of God to man? The word of God can bring conviction, comfort, and challenge in the life of a believer. Have you found this to be true?
- Review the tape concerning definitions of the world, the flesh, and the Devil– enemies of the Christian and hindrances to the work of God. Remember that God can overrule and overcome the hindrances. See Romans 8:28.
- You can take it with you, if your money and material possessions are used now to help people hear the gospel. People are the only thing redeemed out of this world. Are you laying up treasures in heaven? See Matthew 6:19-21. Loosen up control on your purse strings and you can take it with you.
- Walk worthy of God who calls you into His own Kingdom and glory. ” - 1 Thessalonians 2:12
- “ When you received the word of God you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectively works in you who believe. ” - 1 Thessalonians 2:13
- “ What is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? For you are our glory and joy. ” - 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20