1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Talks for Growing Christians
Paul Describes How the Gospel Was Brought to Thessalonica
1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Lesson Number 3
- Christian leaders should be like nursing mothers.
- Christian leaders should be like devoted fathers.
- Never preach for money or popularity.
- When was the church in Thessalonica founded?
- When did the gospel first come to Europe?
- How did people respond when Paul and Silas preached the gospel in Philippi?
- Who accused Paul in Philippi? What did they accuse him of?
- How did Paul respond?
- What Old Testament character responded similarly to false accusations?
- On Paul’s second missionary journey, about 50–51 A.D.
- During Paul’s second missionary journey when he received the Macedonian vision, crossed over the Aegean Sea, and came to Philippi.
- Because of the message, Paul and Silas were beaten and thrown into prison.
- Paul was accused by his opponents of lying and using underhanded methods.
- He refuted their attack on his message, motivation, and method. He did not defend himself, but refuted false charges, set the record straight, and edified the saints.
- Nehemiah. See Nehemiah Chapter 6.
- Christian leaders should be like nursing mothers who give TLC (tender loving care). Recall the Lord’s gentle and loving care as described in Isaiah 42:3. Can you identify? Do you know elders who give TLC to the church? Encourage them!
- Christian leaders should be like devoted fathers instructing their children, training, correcting, disciplining, comforting, encouraging, and challenging them. Do you know elders who are like devoted church fathers? Encourage them!
- Paul didn’t preach to please men or use flattering words to manipulate them. He labored night and day to be an example for all. Do you know preachers like this? Encourage them!
- “ Even after we had suffered and were spitefully treated, we were bold in our God to speak to you the gospel of God in much conflict. ” - 1 Thessalonians 2:2
- “ We were approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel... not as pleasing men, but God, who tests our hearts. ” - 1 Thessalonians 2:4 “
- We were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children... we exhorted, and comforted, and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children. ” - 1 Thessalonians 2:7,11
- “ Walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory. ” - 1 Thessalonians 2:12