1 Samuel 7
Talks for Growing Christians
Israel Returns to the Lord Under Samuel's Leadership
1 Samuel 7
Lesson Number 8
- God gives victory to His people when they return to Him.
- God restores losses to His people when they return to Him.
- Let’s follow Samuel’s Ebenezer example.
- Where was the Ark of the Covenant taken after it returned from the Land of the Philistines?
- What was Samuel’s role in the nation of Israel at this time?
- What does verse 2 mean when it says Israel lamented after the Lord?
- What did the people of Israel have to do before revival could come?
- What happened when the Philistines attacked the Israelites while they were gathered at Mizpah?
- What does “Ebenezer” mean?
- It was taken to the town of Kiriath Jearim and remained there for at least 100 years in the house of Abinadab.
- He was a circuit riding judge who traveled to various cities judging the people.
- They sought after the Lord for blessing and mourned the fact that they were not being blessed.
- They had to rid themselves of their idols.
- The Lord answered with a great thunder that confused the Philistines, and God gave Israel a great victory.
- Stone of help
- The people of Israel lamented after the Lord, but revival could not come until they rid themselves of their idols. Is this possible in our lives as well? Idols are anything that comes between us and our full commitment and worship of the Lord.
- Territory that had been lost to the Philistines was restored to Israel when they returned to the Lord. For us as believers, when we’re not walking with the Lord we lose ground. But when we return to the Lord we can recover spiritual blessings that were lost. Can you give examples of this?
- As we see the Lord at work in our lives, we should set up “Ebenezers” to honor Him for His help.
- “Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen, and called its name Ebenezer, saying, ‘Thus far the LORD has helped us.’” 1 Samuel 7:12
- “Then the cities which the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel.” 1 Samuel 7:14