1 Samuel 30
Talks for Growing Christians
David and His Men Attack and Defeat the Amalekites
1 Samuel 30
Lesson Number 34
- God provides help and strength for defeating the enemy.
- God provides illustrations and principles for Christian service.
- Look for solutions, not scapegoats.
- Why were David and his men gone from Ziklag, leaving the women and children unprotected?
- What happened in Ziklag while David was gone?
- What good choice did David make after he found Ziklag in ruin?
- In what ways did the Lord help David in his pursuit of the Amalekites?
- What controversy arose when David and his men returned home with the spoils?
- David and his men had been called by the Philistine king to fight with the Philistines against the Israelites. God graciously delivered them from this dilemma (Chapter 29).
- The Amalekites had raided Ziklag, burned it to the ground, and taken the people captive.
- He turned to the Lord for help and strength.
- Although David and his men became exhausted, the Lord strengthened some of them to continue their pursuit. The Lord also led them to an Egyptian slave who led them to the Amalekite camp.
- The controversy was whether the 200 exhausted men who had stayed with the equipment should share in the spoils of war with the 400 men who went on to battle.
- Are you in a situation right now where you have suffered losses because of your bad decisions? Be like David and look to the Lord. Read the following verses and discuss their application to your situation: 2 Timothy 2:26, Hebrews 4:16, Isaiah 40:31.
- Discuss the important principles for Christian service that we draw from this chapter. Some believers are called to the front lines of Christian service. Others are called to more supporting roles. Both are important and necessary.
- When problems and conflicts arise in your home or church, do you look for a scapegoat or for a solution?
- “David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.” 1 Samuel 30:6
- “And nothing of theirs was lacking, either small or great, sons or daughters, spoil or anything which they had taken from them; David recovered all.” 1 Samuel 30:19