1 Samuel 26
Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Delivers David
1 Samuel 26
Lesson Number 30
- The Lord will test the righteousness of every believer.
- The Lord will reward the righteousness of every believer.
- Expect to be tested again!
- This is the third time David had the opportunity to take his own revenge. When were the previous two times?
- Why did Saul so easily break the promise he made in 1 Samuel 24:17-22?
- How did David gain another opportunity to take revenge on King Saul?
- What was Abishai’s counsel to David?
- What did David do to Saul?
- David spared Saul’s life in a cave in En Gedi, although he cut off the corner of his robe (chapter 24). David wanted to take revenge on the rude and prideful Nabal, but Abigail saved the day (chapter 25).
- There were probably certain men in Saul’s court who hated David and stirred up lies about him in Saul’s mind.
- David and his men were able to sneak up on Saul’s camp at night. While Saul was sleeping, David and his nephew Abishai were able to get so close to Saul that they could have killed him with his own spear.
- Abishai told David that this was an opportunity from the Lord. Abishai pleaded with David to at least let him do the job.
- David only took Saul’s spear and water to prove to Saul and to General Abner that David could have killed the king and that Abner was not protecting the king.
- David had a second opportunity to take revenge on Saul, but again he passed the test of righteousness. Would you have passed? The Lord will test the righteousness of every believer in the areas of honesty and integrity, submission, and much more. Will you pass?
- The Lord will reward the righteousness of every believer. Your reward for righteous living may not come overnight or even in this lifetime, but when you do the right thing, you will be rewarded. Do you believe this is true?
- Although David had already passed the test of faith and patience, he was tested again. Your faith and righteousness will be tested throughout your lifetime. Graduation does not come until we get to heaven.
- “The LORD forbid that I should stretch out my hand against the LORD’s anointed.” 1 Samuel 26:11
- “May the LORD repay every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness.” 1 Samuel 26:23