1 Samuel 24
Talks for Growing Christians
David Spares Saul’s Life
1 Samuel 24
Lesson Number 28
- The godly let the Lord plead their cause.
- The ungodly say one thing and do another.
- Wait for the Lord in all areas of life.
- Where is En Gedi?
- When did David have the opportunity to retaliate against King Saul?
- What did David do in the face of this opportunity?
- How did Saul respond when David revealed himself and showed the corner of Saul’s robe?
- What significant landmark might have been David’s stronghold (verse 22)?
- En Gedi, which means “the fountain of the young goat,” is a beautiful fresh water spring amongst the rocks in the hills along the west side of the Dead Sea.
- As David and his men were hiding in the inner recesses of a cave, Saul came into the cave to either take a rest or go the bathroom. David had a golden opportunity to kill King Saul.
- He crept up to Saul and cut off the corner of his robe. Later he regretted even doing that to the king.
- Saul wept and acknowledged that David was right and had shown mercy to him. He even acknowledge that David would be the next king, although this repentance did not last long.
- This might have been Masada, a natural fortification running south along the coast of the Dead Sea. Masada played a significant role in Jewish history in the first century, AD.
- Discuss how David followed the principle of Romans 12:19. He did not take matters into his own hands and take his own revenge. Are you facing opposition in some area you know God has led you? How will you let the Lord plead your cause against your enemies?
- Have you ever put your trust in ungodly people, institutions, or organizations? Did you experience the principle that the ungodly say one thing and do another? How can you prove yourself as a godly person that others can trust?
- David learned from his experiences with Saul how to wait for the Lord. Has the Lord allowed you to go through testing and trying situations so you will learn to wait for Him? Be encouraged by Psalm 27:14
- “Then Jonathan, Saul’s son, arose and went to David in the woods and strengthened his hand in God.” 1 Samuel 24:12
- “Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!” Psalm 27:14