1 Samuel 23
Talks for Growing Christians
God’s Continued Protection and Encouragement for David
1 Samuel 23
Lesson Number 27
- The Lord provides protection during times of trouble.
- The Lord provides encouragement during times of trouble.
- Don’t assume that every opportunity is from the Lord.
- What report did David hear while he was hiding in the wilderness from King Saul?
- In what unique way did the Lord communicate to David through the garments of the high priest?
- How is David a spiritual picture of the Lord Jesus in this chapter?
- What stopped Saul during his pursuit of David?
- Why was Jonathon able to find David when Saul was not able to find him?
- He heard that the Philistines had attacked the border town of Keilah and were plundering the threshing floors.
- The ephod of the high priest was an apron-like garment over which was a breastplate. Twelve precious stones on the breastplate represented the twelve tribes of Israel. The Urim and the Thummin were probably two additional stones in the breastplate, which the high priest used to determine yes or no answers about the Lord’s will.
- Like David, the Lord was rejected and betrayed by the very people He came to save.
- An urgent message came to Saul telling him that the Philistines had invaded the land.
- This is another indication that the Lord was protecting David.
- When David was in trouble, he could not look to the people for protection, because they were willing to betray him! Instead he looked to the Lord. What kind of troubles are you facing in your life? Have you sought the protection only the Lord can provide?
- Jonathan encouraged David by reminding him of the promises of God. Did you know that is the most important thing you can bring people who are hurting and in times of trouble? Think of one person you can encourage this week by reminding them of God’s care and control in their situation.
- Saul wrongly assumed the “open doors” to pursue David were from the Lord. We can be deceived this way as well! The devil can provide all kinds of opportunities and open doors for you to do your own will! Be aware.
- “Saul sought [David] every day, but God did not deliver him into his hand.” 1 Samuel 23:14
- “Then Jonathan, Saul’s son, arose and went to David in the woods and strengthened his hand in God.” 1 Samuel 23:16
- “The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knows those who trust in Him.” Nahum 1:7