1 Samuel 2
Talks for Growing Christians
Hannah’s Song of Praise
1 Samuel 2
Lesson Number 3
- Hannah is an example of a faithful and dedicated servant.
- Eli is an example of an unfaithful and undisciplined servant.
- Don’t dishonor the Lord by failing to discipline your children.
- What is the contrast in this chapter?
- Where else is Scripture do we see a song of praise similar to Hannah’s?
- How did Eli’s sons break God’s ceremonial and moral laws?
- During what time period did these events take place?
- What was the consequence for Eli’s unfaithfulness and the sins of his sons?
- There is a contrast between a faithful mother, Hannah, and an unfaithful father, Eli. There is also a contrast between the godly son, Samuel, and the ungodly sons, Hophni and Phineas.
- In Mary’s Magnificat, found in Luke 1
- They broke God’s ceremonial laws by:
a. taking more of the meat of the sacrifices than they were allowed (Leviticus 7)
b. taking the meat of the sacrifices before the fat had been burned (Leviticus 3)
c. They broke God’s moral laws by:
d. despising the offering of the Lord
e. committing fornication
- This was in the dark days of the Judges, when the moral and spiritual condition of the nation of Israel was at a low. But even during this time, God had a godly remnant.
- Eli learned that his sons, Hophni and Phineas, would die on the same day.
- Review Hannah’s prayer in 1 Samuel 2:1-10. Hannah praises the Lord for His holiness and omniscience. Hannah praises the Lord for His power in all areas of life. Hannah praises the Lord for His perfect and sovereign judgments. Do your prayers contain these praises?
- Eli’s unfaithfulness and lack of discipline in his own life not only had negative effects on himself, but also his sons, and his descendants. Discuss the application for your life.
- Idle threats in disciplining your children actually dishonor the Lord. Have the strength of character to teach your children what is right, and you will both bring honor to the Lord.
- “No one is holy like the LORD, For there is none besides You, Nor is there any rock like our God.” 1 Samuel 2:2
- “And the child Samuel grew in stature, and in favor both with the LORD and men.” 1 Samuel 2:26
- “Then I will raise up for Myself a faithful priest who shall do according to what is in My heart and in My mind. I will build him a sure house, and he shall walk before My anointed forever.” 1 Samuel 2:35