1 Samuel 16:6-23
Talks for Growing Christians
David is Selected as the Next King of Israel
1 Samuel 16:6-23
Lesson Number 19
- All human hearts are under the searching eye of God.
- All evil spirits are under the sovereign control of God.
- Listen to hymns in order to soothe your soul.
- Why did Samuel travel to Bethlehem?
- Why did the elders of the city tremble when they met Samuel?
- What did anointing with oil symbolize in the Old Testament?
- How did Saul first come to know David?
- Do Satan and his angels have complete freedom on this earth?
- The Lord sent him to secretly anoint one of the sons of Jesse as the next king of Israel.
- Samuel was a circuit riding judge. The elders of Bethlehem thought that Samuel had come to their city to pronounce and execute judgment concerning some matter.
- Kings and High priests were anointed to symbolize that this person was set apart for God’s holy service.
- David was called to be Saul’s harp player. He made such a good impression on the king, that he was made Saul’s armor bearer.
- No, they are under the sovereign control of God and are only permitted to do what God allows.
- As humans we tend to be impressed by outward credentials, such as good looks or talent. God is not impressed with such outward appearances; He looks at the heart. If you are a parent, how can you teach your children to prioritizes heart attitude over outward appearance?
- While God is not the source of evil, He can use the evil of mankind or fallen angels to accomplish His purpose. Discuss this principle. Refer to Ephesians 1:11.
- Saul’s soul was refreshed when David played his harp. Is your soul distressed by the pressures of life? Try listening to music that contains Scripture to calm your troubled soul.
- “For man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7
- “And so it was, whenever the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David would take a harp and play it with his hand. Then Saul would become refreshed and well, and the distressing spirit would depart from him.” 1 Samuel 16:23