1 Kings 19:15-18
Talks for Growing Christians
1 Kings 19:15-18
Lesson Number 39
- God graciously restores His servants.
- God uses unbelievers to accomplish His purposes.
- Talk to God about your hang-ups.
- Are you a member of the secret 7,000 club?
- How did Elijah show his willingness to be recommissioned by God?
- How did God restore Elijah to his walk of faith?
- Does God use unbelievers to accomplish His purposes? Support your answer.
- What happened when Elijah talked to God about his questions?
- What is the secret 7,000 club?
- He showed a reverent attitude by wrapping his face in his mantle and coming out of the cave to listen to the Lord. He responded to the still small voice of God.
- The Lord said to Elijah, “Go, return…” That is a renewed commission right there. God answered Elijah’s questions and told him about His future judgment on Ahab and Jezebel. He was given insight concerning the legacy of his prophecy to be continued by Elisha.
- Yes. In this record, God used two unbelievers to punish and discipline His people Israel. Sometimes He does this today.
- Elijah could not understand why God let Ahab and Jezebel remain in power. He wrongly thought that God was allowing all believers to be killed, and that he was left alone to stand for God. But when he talked with God, even with a bitter attitude and with reluctant reverence, God graciously answered.
- The Lord had to tell Elijah that there were other believers, because they had not identified with him, nor made themselves known (See 1 Kings 19:18). God takes note of the fact that there are believers who are timid or ashamed, for whatever reason. God knows each heart, and whatever evidence of faith there is, God takes note of it. However, it is important that Christians share Christ and the good news of the gospel, so desperately needed by the world. Remember what Christ did on the cross for everyone who will believe, and that an eternity awaits.
- Are you willing to be used by God, whatever the cost? What does it cost you to serve Him?
- When it seems as if justice is put on hold, talk with God. Then listen. When you have questions about what is going on in your life, talk to God. Then listen.
- Are you a member of the secret 7,000 club? Do you know Christians who belong to this club? What should be done about it?
- “Go, return…and when you arrive…” 1 Kings 19:15
- “Yet I have reserved seven thousand… all whose knees have not bowed to Baal.” 1 Kings 19:18