1 Kings 10
Talks for Growing Christians
The Queen of Sheba Visits King Solomon
1 Kings 10
Lesson Number 13
- All our questions will be answered by the wisdom of the King.
- All our desires will be met by the wealth of the King.
- Don’t think that God’s blessing on your life means that you are perfect.
- Where is Sheba located?
- How did the Queen of Sheba hear about Solomon’s fame?
- How far was it from Sheba to Jerusalem, the distance traveled by the queen?
- Did the queen travel by car? What was her mode of travel?
- What was the purpose of the queen’s journey?
- In the southern part of the Arabian Peninsula, where Yemen is located today.
- Most likely from traders that traveled throughout the known world at that time. See Ezekiel 27:22-23.
- More than 1200 miles.
- No, not by car, but by camelback.
- To check out for herself the wisdom and wealth of Solomon.
- Jesus said, “The queen of the south…came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.” (Matthew 12:42) The Lord drew a parallel between King Solomon and Himself. As the queen of Sheba had all of her hard questions answered by King Solomon, so we will have all our difficult questions answered by the Lord, the greater son of Solomon when He returns as the glorious King.
Do you have any difficult questions? Many of our questions are answered as we study the word of God, but when we’re with the Lord all our questions will be answered. “In Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” (Colossians 2:3)
- “King Solomon surpassed all the kings of the earth in riches and wisdom.” (1 Kings 10:23) As the queen of Sheba observed the wealth of King Solomon, she said, “It was a true report which I heard in my own land about your words and your wisdom. However I did not believe the words until I came and saw with my own eyes; and indeed the half was not told me. Your wisdom and prosperity exceed the fame of which I heard.” (1 Kings 10:6-7)
What is the spiritual picture here, the application to us? All our desires will be met by the wealth of our King, the Lord Jesus Christ. We, too, will say that the half has not been told. When the Lord sets up His kingdom here on earth there will be world-wide material and spiritual blessing. Of course, at that time all our desires will be godly and in line with the program of our King. How do your desires line up now?
- Solomon was greatly blessed by God with wisdom and wealth. But it would be a mistake to assume that this was because Solomon was a perfect king. Actually, he was disobedient to God’s law on more than one
occasion. We, too, experience the gracious blessing of God on our lives, but let’s not assume that this is God’s stamp of approval on every aspect of our lives. Our lives and lifestyles must line up with the word of God. How does your life and lifestyle line up with the word of God?
- “When the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the Lord, she came to test him with hard questions. Solomon answered all her questions.” 1 Kings 10:1, 3
- “When the queen of Sheba had seen all…she said, ‘I did not believe the words until I came and saw with my own eyes; and indeed the half was not told me. Your wisdom and prosperity exceed the fame of which I heard.” 1 Kings 10:4, 7
- “King Solomon gave the queen of Sheba all she desired…” 1 Kings 10:13