1 John 5:1-12
Talks for Growing Christians
The Reliable Witness that Supports the Christian Faith
1 John 5:1-12
Lesson Number 9
- Christian faith is the essential characteristic of Christian fellowship.
a. Christian faith is the means to overcome the world.
b. Christian faith has a sufficient witness.
- Whether you like it or not, there is only one road up the mountain.
- Why is 1 John 5:1-3 called the cycle of love?
- Are the Lord’s commandments burdensome?
- Refer to 1 John 5:4-12. The subject moves from Christian love to Christian ___________.
- What is the three-fold enemy of the Christian?
- How do believers deal with this enemy?
- If we are born of God, we will love God, and if we love God we will keep His commandments, and if we keep His commandments, we will love our fellow believers, and if we love our fellow believers, it is evidence that we love God and that we are born of God.
- The Lord’s commandments are not easy, but they are not burdensome. An illustration would be the command to a mother to love her baby. It is not a burdensome command, even if it’s a lot of work.
- The world, the flesh and the devil.
- Flee (the flesh), fight (the devil) and walk by faith (to overcome the world). Refer to 2 Timothy 2:22, Ephesians 6:10-17 and 1 John 5:4-5.
- “Whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world – our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?” (1 John 5:4-5) Consider the three-fold enemy of the Christian: the world, the flesh and the devil. By faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ we can overcome the world. Do you really believe that the world is passing away and the lust of it, but he who does the will of God abides forever? (1 John 2:17). If so, materialism will not be a problem for you. If, on the other hand, you are trusting in this world for your security and you love your earthly possessions, then you are not living by faith and you will not overcome the world. Check out what you are trusting in.
- The Christian faith is not a blind leap of faith, but it is a reasonable step of faith because the Christian faith has a reliable and sufficient witness backing it up. Review both the external witness (1 John 5:6-9) and the internal witness (1 John 5:10).
- Many people today believe that the Christian faith is only one of many paths that lead up the mountain to heaven and to eternal life. Not so! According to the Bible, there is only one road up the mountain. Re-read 1 John 5:11-12. There is no middle ground. Perhaps you have been told that there are many paths, but as a true witness of the Lord Jesus Christ, you are on solid ground by showing the many-path person these verses.
- “Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.” 1 John 5:1-3
- “Whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world – our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, buthe who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?” 1 John 5:4-5
- “There are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.” 1 John 5:7-8
- “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.” 1 John 5:12
- “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life…” 1 John 5:13