1 Corinthians 6
Talks for Growing Christians
Teachings about Lawsuits and The Temple of the Holy Spirit
1 Corinthians 6
Lesson Number 7
- Because believers will judge the world, they should not sue fellow believers.
- Because believers are the temple of the Holy Spirit, they should glorify God with their bodies.
- Don’t let people say in a negative way, “There goes the temple of the Holy Spirit.”
- What is the theme of 1 Corinthians?
- What two additional problems of the Corinthian church are addressed in this chapter?
- When will saints judge the world and angels?
- Why did Paul mention the fact that Christians will judge the world and judge angels?
- What does 1 Corinthians 3:16 teach about the temple of the Holy Spirit?
- What does 1 Corinthians 6:19 teach about the temple of the Holy Spirit?
- Christian conduct
- The problem of litigation and the problem of moral laxity
- Believers will rule with Christ during His thousand year reign on earth. We will be involved with Christ in the judgment of these fallen angels—probably after the millennium.
- To emphasize how inconsistent it was for Christians to go to court against one another
- That verse teaches that the temple of the Holy Spirit is the Church, composed of all believers. The Holy Spirit dwells in the midst of the Church which is the body of Christ.
- This verse teaches that the body of each individual believer is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
- Have you ever been in a legal dispute with another believer? Were you able to settle this dispute within the church without going to court? The Apostle Paul said that it was better to be cheated than to go to court!
- In this chapter Paul addresses questionable activities that are permitable in of themselves, but may not be good to practice because they might stumble or offend weaker believers, or might even become an addiction. Discuss activities that fall into this category. How have you personally decided to handle these issues?
- In our culture, having a biblical view of sex is not very popular. Yet our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit! What can you do to re-enforce the right view of sex to your kids and family this week?
- “Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?”
1 Corinthians 6:3
- “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20