1 Corinthians 2
Talks for Growing Christians
The Wisdom of This World Contrasted with the Wisdom of God
1 Corinthians 2
Lesson Number 3
- There is both the wisdom of this world and the wisdom of God.
- There is both the natural man and the spiritual man.
- Don’t say, “It’s too deep for me!”
- What was the root of the problem that was causing disunity and divisions in the Corinthian church?
- What was Paul’s attitude when he went to Corinth?
- How does James 3:15-17 relate to this passage?
- What is a “mystery” in the Bible?
- Who is the “natural man” of 1 Corinthians 2:14?
- Who is the “spiritual man”?
- The Corinthian Christians did not properly understand the message of the cross and the ways of God.
- Paul was determined to present God’s truth in God’s way—not with impressive eloquence and worldly wisdom, but in a simple, straightforward, humble presentation—depending totally on the Holy Spirit and the power of God for results.
- It further defines the wisdom of man as earthly, sensual, and demonic, and the wisdom of God as pure, peaceable, and gentle.
- A biblical mystery is truth that was hidden in Old Testament times, but has now been revealed with the coming of Christ and New Testament times.
- The natural man is the unbeliever who does not understand the truth that God has revealed.
- The spiritual man is the mature believer who is led and taught by the Holy Spirit.
- The wisdom of God involves God’s plan and purpose for mankind and the world, which is centered in Christ. How are we as believers able to understand this wisdom? This is related to the Holy Spirit’s actions of revelation, inspiration, and illumination.
- Read 1 Corinthians 2:9—the blessings of our inheritance are available to believers now! What are some of these blessings? Discuss how you can experience and enjoy them now.
- If youíre a believer you have the Holy Spirit in you to help you understand the things of God. God did not give His Word to hide the truth from you, but to reveal His truth to you! So study what God says and thank the Holy Spirit for His help!
- “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9
- “Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.” 1 Corinthians 2:12
- “But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” 1 Corinthians 2:14