1 Corinthians 1:1-17
Talks for Growing Christians
Divisions in the Church
1 Corinthians 1:1-17
Lesson Number 1
- Spiritual gifts do not make believers spiritual.
- Baptism is not necessary for salvation.
- Watch out for a sectarian spirit.
- When was the church at Corinth founded?
- When did Paul write this epistle to the Corinthian church? What prompted his writing?
- What good news did Paul commend the Corinthians for?
- What makes a believer spiritual?
- What is the purpose of baptism?
- During Paulís second missionary journey, in the early 50s A.D.
- Paul wrote to the Corinthians during his third missionary journey, while staying in Ephesus. Some folks from Chloeís family had visited or written to Paul there about quarrels in the church at Corinth.
- The Corinthian believers were set apart for God. They were enriched with spiritual gifts. They were eagerly awaiting the return of the Lord.
- A believer is spiritual when the fruit of the Spirit is evident in that believerís life.
- When you are baptized as a believer you are publicly announcing that you are now a Christian and you have identified with Christ is His death, burial, and resurrection.
- Division and lack of unity was a common problem in the Corinthian church and in many churches today. In fact, many unbelievers say they are turned off to church because of this hypocrisy. How is the feeling of unity among your local body of believers? What can you personally do to promote unity?
- Spiritual gifts do not make a believer spiritual, but the Fruit of the Spirit does. See Galatians 5:22-23. How is the Fruit of the Spirit seen in your life? How can you grow the fruit this week?
- It is not wrong to enjoy listening to certain preachers or teachers because their ministry has been a help to you. But be careful not to cross the link into factions and divisions.
- "Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of GodÖ to the church of God which is at Corinth." 1 Corinthians 1:1-2
- "Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you." 1 Corinthians 1:10
- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel." 1 Corinthians 1:17