Talks for Growing Christians
Recognizing God’s Authority Structure in the Church
1 Corinthians 11:1-16
Lesson Number 15
- Recognizing God’s structure of authority in the Church brings glory to God.
- Recognizing God’s structure of authority in the Church brings glory to mankind.
- Don’t pull the “traditions” of verse 2 out of context.
- How does 1 Corinthians 11:1 fit into the context?
- What is God’s structure of authority in the Church?
- Review the symbols practiced in the New Testament church.
- How does 1 Corinthians 11:8-9 argue against the view that head coverings were strictly cultural?
- What “traditions” was Paul speaking of in 1 Corinthians 11:2?
- Verse 1 is really a conclusion of Chapter 10, where Paul was addressing Christian liberty.
- God the Father to Christ, the Head of the Church, to man, to woman
- Water used in baptism, bread and wine used in the Lord’s Supper, and the head covering used in public worship
- This argument from Creation transcends cultural. Since this structure was established at Creation, it applies to all cultures.
- These were the central teachings and doctrines of the Christian faith that Paul had communicated to the Corinthians.
- Review the 4 common views on the head covering. Is this your first time to learn this teaching? How will you respond? a. The head covering is strictly cultural. b. The head covering was a cultural symbol for a transcultural principle. c. The head covering is a transcultural symbol for a transcultural principle and the transcultural symbol is the covering of the hair. d. The head covering is a transcultural symbol for a transcultural principle and the transcultural symbol is the covering in addition to the hair.
- Read 1 Corinthians 11:3. It is critical to remember that subordination does not mean inferiority. Christ, the Son of God was subordinate to God the Father, but He was in no way inferior. Likewise within the function and roles of the Church, women are to be subordinate to men. Can you handle this teaching?
- Think about this- angels learn about God’s glory and proper submission to authority by watching us! What an important role we have!
- “Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.” 1 Corinthians 11:1
- “But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.” 1 Corinthians 11:3
- “For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.” 1 Corinthians 11:10