1 Chronicles 28
Talks for Growing Christians
David’s Last Instructions
1 Chronicles 28
Lesson Number 19
- There is a divine purpose for the House of God.
- There is a divine pattern for the House of God.
- If you seek Him, you will find Him.
- Give a couple of reasons David installed Solomon as king and co-reigned with him during his last days.
- What significant things did David accomplish during his last years on the throne?
- What was the purpose of the Temple?
- How did David conclude his address to the nation of Israel?
- Summarize David’s last instructions to Solomon.
- David was not well during the last years of his life; he continually had the chills and could not keep warm. Also, David’s son Adonijah started an uprising and attempted to take the throne (1 Kings 1).
- He collected money, material, and skilled workmen for the Temple project. He organized all the Levites for effective service in the Temple and throughout the nation. He made sure the Temple treasures and Temple precincts would be fully protected. And he organized civil and military leadership to insure that Solomon would begin with a stable and peaceful reign in which to build the House of the Lord.
- The main purpose of the Temple was to be a permanent home for the Ark of the Covenant, because this signified God’s presence in the midst of His people.
- He exhorted them to follow the Lord in all of His commandments. Just building the Temple would not result in blessing, if they did not obey the Lord.
- David exhorted Solomon to follow the Lord with a whole heart and a willing mind. He challenged his son to be strong and courageous. And he gave Solomon all the plans and patterns for the Temple, that the Lord had given him directly.
- God’s Temple today is the Church, the people of God. The divine purpose of this worldwide group of believers is to be a home for the Holy Spirit so that God can dwell in the midst of His people and we can worship Him. Have you ever thought of this as the purpose of the Church? God dwells in our midst!
- The Lord handed down the details of the House of God to David. Likewise He has given us details about spiritual gifts in the Church and the priesthood of all believers. Discuss what you know about the priesthood of believers. How is this acted out in your local fellowship?
- “If you seek Him, He will be found by you.” 1 Chronicles 28:9 Are you seeking God?
- “Then King David rose to his feet and said, ‘Hear me, my brethren and my people: I had it in my heart to build a house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made preparations to build it.’” 1 Chronicles 28:2
- “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever.” 1 Chronicles 28:9
- “And David said to his son Solomon, ‘Be strong and of good courage, and do it; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the LORD God – my God – will be with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.’” 1 Chronicles 28:20