1 Chronicles 27
Talks for Growing Christians
David Organizes Israel’s Army; Recognition of Various Leaders
1 Chronicles 27
Lesson Number 18
- Believers can serve as apologists.
- Believers can serve as authorities.
- Believers can serve as administrators.
- Believers can serve as advisors.
- Use the internet to defend the Christian faith.
- Who were the military commanders for the divisions of Israel’s army?
- What is a Christian apologist?
- How does 1 Corinthians 12:4-5 relate to this passage?
- Was Ahithophel a good counselor (verse 33)? What about Hushai?
- They were all mighty men of David, listed in chapter 11.
- Someone who defends the Christian faith
- Verses 25-31 list specific areas in David’s kingdom which were under the control of capable administrators. 1 Corinthians teaches that besides spiritual gifts there are various areas where you can use your gifts, talents, and abilities.
- Ahithophel turned against David during the rebellion of his son Absalom. But Hushai stood by David as a good friend and advisor (2 Samuel 15).
- 1 Peter 3:15 shows that all believers have a responsibility to defend the faith. Some Christians are especially good in the field of apologetics. Discuss what you know about some of the great Christian apologists throughout history. C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell are both good examples.
- The elders of your church should be recognized as spiritual authorities. There is a lot of responsibility in these positions of authority. Discuss how your response to these authorities can make their job easer or much harder. Read Hebrews 13:17 and 1 Timothy 3:1.
- There are a lot of great apologetic resources on the internet. Start by checking out the Christian Evidences section of the Growing Christians website at www.growingchristians.org/cfgc or go to www.christianevidences.com.
- “And the children of Israel, according to their number, the heads of fathers’ houses, the captains of thousands and hundreds and their officers, served the king in every matter of the military divisions. These divisions came in and went out month by month throughout all the months of the year, each division having twenty-four thousand.” 1 Chronicles 27:1
- “Ahithophel was the king’s counselor, and Hushai the Archite was the king’s companion. After Ahithophel was Jehoiada the son of Benaiah, then Abiathar. And the general of the king’s army was Joab.” 1 Chronicles 27:33-34