1 Chronicles 26
Talks for Growing Christians
Three More Groups of Levites are Appointed
1 Chronicles 26
Lesson Number 17
- Guarding the Lord’s house is important service.
- Guarding the Lord’s treasure is important service.
- Guarding the Lord’s law is important service.
- Thank the Lord for the blessing of children.
- How did David make preparations for the Temple of the Lord that his son Solomon would build?
- David’s detailed plans and preparations give us a prophetic glimpse of what truth?
- Who was Obed-Edom (verses 4-8)?
- What spiritual lesson can we learn from the Temple gatekeepers?
- What were the Temple treasures?
- What does it mean that Israel was a theocracy? How did the Levites work in this system?
- David gathered together men, material, and money for the work of building the Temple. He numbered the Levites and divided them into groups to perform various duties throughout the Temple.
- God is making plans and preparations for the future Temple and kingdom of our Lord here on this earth. As believers, we will all have special responsibilities in that kingdom.
- Obed-Edom and his family took care of the Ark after it had fallen off the cart and Uzzah had been killed (chapter 13). The Ark of the Covenant remained in the house of Obed-Edom until David brought it up to Jerusalem.
- Guarding the Lord’s house is important service. Churches today must guard against false teachers and their false doctrine.
- The Temple treasures consisted of the required tithes and offerings of the people, as well as special dedicated gifts from elders and leaders in the nation, and dedicated spoils of war.
- This means that the nation was ruled by God and the law of the land was the Mosaic Law as the Word of God. The Levites were the official interpreters of God’s Word and thus were the lawyers and judges in that day.
- Discuss the devastation that comes upon a church or ministry when the Lord’s funds are misused. What should the attitude be of those who are given responsibility for a ministry’s finances?
- Discuss ways that we can guard the Word of God from misinterpretation and misapplication. Read 2 Timothy 2:15.
- Obed-Edom was considered blessed by God, because he had been greatly blessed with children. The next time you are tired and frustrated with your kids, remember that they truly are a blessing from the Lord.
- “Concerning the divisions of the gatekeepers…” 1 Chronicles 26:1
- “Of the Levites, Ahijah was over the treasuries of the house of God and over the treasuries of the dedicated things.” 1 Chronicles 26:20
- “Of the Izharites, Chenaniah and his sons performed duties as officials and judges over Israel outside Jerusalem.” 1 Chronicles 26:29