1 Chronicles 24-25
Talks for Growing Christians
David’s Organization of the Priests and Levites
1 Chronicles 24-25
Lesson Number 16
- Organization of the ministry of priests and Levites is important.
- Organization of the ministry of music is important.
- Put content high on your priority list for Christian music.
- Why was David organizing the priests and the Levites? How many Levites were counted in the census?
- How did the 24 divisions of priests and Levites share the duties of serving in the Temple?
- Why did Nadab and Abihu die before their father Aaron (24:2)?
- So did the priests and Levites only work two weeks of the year?
- Why were the commanders of the army involved in the selection of the musical talent(25:1)?
- David was organizing the Levites as part of the preparations for his son Solomon to build the Temple. There were 38,000 Levites thirty years of age and older (1 Chronicles 23:3). Later, David lowered the age requirements of Levites to twenty years old, so that more men would be available for service.
- Each division would serve essentially for two weeks of the year.
- Nadab and Abihu were struck dead and removed from service in the priesthood because they offered strange fire before the Lord (Leviticus 10:1-2).
- No. They were on duty at the Temple in Jerusalem two weeks of the year. The rest of the year they were busy back in the Levitical cities where they lived. They were the official interpreters of Scripture and therefore the lawyers in the theocracy of Israel.
- Israel may have used music when they went into battle under the kings.
- Read 1 Corinthians 14:40. Just as the priests and the Levites were organized for their worship and service of the Lord, so we should do things decently and orderly in our churches. Disorganization and disorder does not please God. Have you ever been to a church service with no structure or order? Discuss how structure does not have to limit the work and movement of the Holy Spirit.
- Praising the Lord with music is important, and it is important that the music be organized. Everyone should sing praises to the Lord, but not everyone is called to a ministry of music. Discuss the difference that you have seen in having talented individuals lead a group in the ministry of music.
- Contemporary Christian music is a booming industry today. You may choose your favorite artist based on style and sound, but make sure lyrical content is also high on your priority list.
- “Thus they were divided by lot, one group as another, for there were officials of the sanctuary and officials of the house of God, from the sons of Eleazar and from the sons of Ithamar.” 1 Chronicles 24:5
- “All these were under the direction of their father for the music in the house of the LORD, with cymbals, stringed instruments, and harps, for the service of the house of God.” 1 Chronicles 25:6