1 Chronicles 23
Talks for Growing Christians
Further Preparations for the Construction of the Temple
1 Chronicles 23
Lesson Number 15
- As priests, believers today are involved in worship of the Lord.
- As Levites, believers today are involved in service to the Lord.
- Make singing a part of your daily devotions.
- How did David respond to the news that he would not be the one to build the Temple of the Lord?
- How old was David at this point? When did Solomon begin his reign?
- What is the House of the Lord today?
- Why was the census recorded here alright for David to conduct whereas the census recorded in chapter 21 was sinful?
- Is there a difference between priests and Levites?
- David humbly accepted the decision from the Lord and with a wonderful attitude began to make elaborate preparations for the Temple of the Lord, which Solomon would build.
- David was in his seventieth year. David and Solomon co-reigned for a short time before David’s death.
- The House of the Lord today is the Church – the Temple of the Holy Spirit.
- The previous census was sinful because it was for military purposes instead of trusting in the Lord; the motive was national pride. The census of the Levites here was for the purpose of service to the Lord in the new Temple.
- All priests were Levites, but not all Levites were priests. Only Aaron and his descendants were priests. It was the job of the priests to offer the sacrifices, burn incense, and minister to the people on behalf of God (verse 13). The Levites assisted the priests and performed various duties around the Temple.
- All believers today are priests. Read 1 Peter 2:5,9. We do not offer up animals, but we are to offer up spiritual sacrifices. Read Hebrews 13:15-16. Discuss the many different ways you can worship the Lord with spiritual sacrifices.
- Thousands of Levites were involved in service in the House of the Lord. This illustrates the truth that all believers have different responsibilities within the Church. List everything you can think of, large and small, that must be done in order for a Sunday service to run at your local church. There are large and small responsibilities, but all are important duties.
- You hopefully spend time in Scripture and prayer every day. This week plan to include singing as a part of your daily devotions. Get yourself a hymnal, songbook, or worship CD and begin or end your time with the Lord by singing a song of praise.
- “So when David was old and full of days, he made his son Solomon king over Israel.” 1 Chronicles 23:1
- “Aaron was set apart, he and his sons forever, that he should sanctify the most holy things, to burn incense before the LORD, to minister to Him, and to give the blessing in His name forever.” 1 Chronicles 23:13
- “[The Levites’] duty was to help the sons of Aaron in the service of the house of the LORD, in the courts and in the chambers, in the purifying of all holy things and the work of the service of the house of God.” 1 Chronicles 23:28