1 Chronicles 22
Talks for Growing Christians
Preparations for the Construction of the Temple
1 Chronicles 22
Lesson Number 14
- Building the House of the Lord involves plans and preparation.
- Building the House of the Lord involves gifts and dedication.
- Don’t let fundraising limit the work of the Lord!
- Why was David’s sinful numbering of the people included in the previous chapter of 1 Chronicles?
- In what ways did David plan and prepare for the Temple?
- How can David’s counsel to his son Solomon be an example to us with our children?
- One purpose was that it laid the groundwork for the building of the Temple by Solomon. It was because of the plague of judgment that David bought the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite, and this would become the site of the Temple.
- Stones were being cut form the limestone quarries and cedar timbers were being shipped from Lebanon. Large quantities of iron and bronze were accumulated. Billions of dollars, by today’s value, were set aside in preparation for the building. A great workforce was involved, including foreign labor.
- David gave Solomon guidance on building the Temple, but his emphasis was on his son’s obedience and courage.
- David’s plans and preparations for the building of the Temple contain spiritual lessons for building the Lord’s House today. Read 1 Corinthians 3. God is the Builder of the Church, and He uses our Christian service to help build up the Church. Discuss the ways in which we can build, both good and bad.
- David arranged for skillful and gifted workers to be available to work on the Temple. Likewise building the House of the Lord involves gifts and dedication. Discuss the way the Lord has uniquely gifted you in order to build up your local fellowship of believers.
- The Lord always provides for the work that He calls His people to do. Many times we mislabel our own work and hidden agendas as the work of the Lord. Don’t spend your time fundraising for the work of the Lord. Spend your time doing the work of the Lord! He will provide, if it is really His work.
- “Now David said, ‘Solomon my son is young and inexperienced, and the house to be built for the LORD must be exceedingly magnificent, famous and glorious throughout all countries. I will now make preparation for it.’ So David made abundant preparations before his death. Then he called for his son Solomon, and charged him to build a house for the LORD God of Israel.” 1 Chronicles 22:5-6
- “Therefore arise and build the sanctuary of the LORD God.” 1 Chronicles 22:19