1 Chronicles 18-20
Talks for Growing Christians
David’s Victories Over His Enemies
1 Chronicles 18-20
Lesson Number 12
- David’s victories proved God’s promises.
- David’s victories picture spiritual warfare.
- David’s victories predict Christ’s kingdom.
- You can conquer all the giants.
- Who was the likely author of the book of Chronicles? Who was the original audience?
- How can we harmonize the few differences in the numbers and details recorded in this chapter and in the parallel account in 2 Samuel 7?
- What was God’s great promise to David?
- How do David’s victories predict Christ’s kingdom?
- Chronicles was written relatively late in Old Testament history likely by Ezra. The original audience was the group of former captives in Babylon who had returned to Jerusalem.
- In the history of copying the text, some scribal copying mistakes did get into some copies. But there are many ancient manuscripts of Samuel that do match the details given in Chronicles, so we give priority to Chronicles in those cases.
- God promised to subdue all of David’s enemies (1 Chronicles 17:10) and to establish his throne forever.
- The Bible teaches that when Christ returns to this earth, all enemies will be conquered and subdued and every knee will bow to show that Christ alone is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
- All of God’s promises to David proved true. All of God’s promises to us will prove true as well. Discuss some New Testament promises, starting with 1 Peter 5:7. Which of God’s precious promises have proven true in your life lately?
- Ephesians 6 is a fantastic passage on spiritual warfare. Read that chapter and then discuss some of the principles of spiritual warfare that are illustrated in this passage of 1 Chronicles.
- Are there any enemy giants in your life right now? Giant problems, giant losses, giant memories, giant defeats? With God’s help and by faith, you can conquer all the giants.
- “And the LORD preserved David wherever he went.” 1 Chronicles 18:13
- “Be of good courage, and let us be strong for our people and for the cities of our God. And may the LORD do what is good in His sight.” 1 Chronicles 19:13