1 Chronicles 12
Talks for Growing Christians
David’s Mighty Men and Loyal Followers
1 Chronicles 12
Lesson Number 7
- The detailed description of David’s mighty men contains spiritual lessons for committed Christians.
- Get ready for the banquet!
- When did the mighty men from the tribe of Benjamin join David?
- How long did David reign from Hebron? How long from Jerusalem?
- How does Romans 15:4 relate to this passage?
- As believers, what is our weapon for spiritual battle? What are we able to do if we are trained to use this weapon?
- How did the Holy Spirit relate to believers in the Old Testament? How does the Holy Spirit relate to believers in New Testament times and today?
- These men from Saul’s own tribe joined David at Ziklag when he was still fleeing King Saul.
- David reigned over Judah from Hebron for 7 ½ years before he was recognized as king over all Israel for 33 years.
- Romans 15:4 reminds us that the entire Old Testament, including the military records, was written for our learning and encouragement. Remember, David’s mighty men of valor are spiritual pictures of mighty Christians.
- Our weapon is the sword of the Spirit, the word of God (Ephesians 6:17). If we are trained to use this sword we can lead a person to Christ using our Bible and defend the faith with appropriate Scripture, among other things.
- In the Old Testament, the Spirit of God came upon different individuals at different times for different purposes. Since the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, every Christian is indwelt by the Holy Spirit at salvation. But in order to be filled by the Holy Spirit, that is, under His control, we should be filled with God’s Word, full of praise, and submit to God’s authority structures (Ephesians 5:18).
- As the mighty men were courageous, loyal, and committed servants of King David, so we should be courageous, loyal, and committed servants of our King, the Lord Jesus Christ. Review and discuss these spiritual lessons:
1) Committed Christians are trained
2) Committed Christians are courageous.
3) Committed Christians are filled with the Spirit.
4) Committed Christians understand the times.
5) Committed Christians have an undivided heart.
- The men of Zebulun helped David with an undivided heart. What a great compliment! Do you serve the Lord with an undivided heart?
- “Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, chief of the captains, and he said: ‘We are yours, O David; We are on your side, O son of Jesse! Peace, peace to you, And peace to your helpers! For your God helps you.’” 1 Chronicles 12:18
- “For at that time they came to David day by day to help him, until it was a great army, like the army of God.” 1 Chronicles 12:22