2 Timothy 3:1-9
Talks for Growing Christians
A Prediction of the Moral and Spiritual Conditions that Will Characterize the Last Days
2 Timothy 3:1-9
Lesson Number 13
- The last days are characterized by ungodly behavior.
- The last days are characterized by a form of godliness.
- The last days are characterized by false teachers.
- Don’t go to a church where the word of God and the gospel of Christ are watered down.
- When are the “last days” of 2 Timothy 3:1? Support your answer with Scripture.
- Who were Jannes and Jambres?
- Summarize the list of vices.
- What does it mean when people have a form of godliness?
- What are some of the tactics of false teachers?
- Can false teachers of today perform signs and wonders that look like the power of God?
- What is the greatest limitation of false teachers?
- The last days began with the first coming of Christ, and they continue until the second coming of Christ. In other words, we are in the last days now. Paul and Timothy were in these last days, too. See Hebrews 1:1-2.
- They were two of the Egyptian magicians that opposed Moses during the Exodus.
- Selfishness, pride and no self-control
- Those who have a form of godliness have some kind of value system, but they deny the power for true godliness. That power is the word of God and the gospel of Christ.
- They are not open, but secretive and cunning
- Yes, but they are not of God.
- That the false teachers can go only so far, and then their folly will be manifest to all. They are limited by God.
- How can you discern false teachers from true teachers?
- Can you defend the fact that we are in the last days? Be specific and Scriptural.
- How can you be sure that you are under the teaching of the pure word? What is the criteria?
- Review the list of vices that characterize people of the last days. Are you possibly characterized by any of these character vices?
- “…know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: for men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money…and lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God.” 2 Timothy 3:1-4
- “…they have a form of godliness but deny its power…from such people turn away!” 2 Timothy 3:5